Pages

10 Nov 2011

Happy Thursday

The dissertation tutorial this morning wasn't as scary as I thought it might be, it seems my panic over the last week worked in my favour, as I ended up a bit over-prepared which can't be a bad thing. I'm looking at the notion of truth in art and whether representational or abstract painting is more representative of reality. Since realism and abstraction both began with the intention of presenting the truth, it's interesting to see how they went about it so differently - and I will attempt to ascertain whether either is successful in their quest.

My favourite realists and therefore the ones I'm likely to include are



John Singer Sargent




Gustave Courbet



And of course the great Edouard Manet (never have I written an art essay excluding him).


Favourite abstract painters include



Howard Hodgkin (j'adore)



Giamcomo Balla



and James McNeill Whistler

No comments:

Post a Comment